Monday, April 23, 2007

Crab Cakes in Baltimore with Sally Shivnan


Not much blogging this week as I've been in Baltimore--- where travel writer Sally Shivnan invited me to offer a travel writing workshop and then present the new paperback edition of my travel memoir of Mexico's Baja California, Miraculous Air. It was a lively and talented group of students, and the reading was extra special for me because it was the first time I had seen the paperback. If I do say so myself, it looks pretty good. Then we went out for, what else in Baltimore, crab cakes! By the way, Sally Shivan's essay "Airborne" appears in Best American Travel Writing 2006, and her essay "Gringa Morisca" in Traveler's Tales Best Travel Writing 2005. Look for her articles in the Washington Post and elsewhere.

Speaking of travel writing, I'll be chairing a panel on travel writing for the Washington Independent Writers Conference June 9th, and offering another travel writing workshop at the Bethesda MD Writers Center on June 16th.

I'll also be offering some writing workshops in Mexico City. More anon.